Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The ripe red fruit of a bell pepper.
2. See cayenne pepper.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) any of several varieties of the pepper plant Capsicum frutescens, cultivated for their hot pungent red podlike fruits
2. (Plants) the fruit of any of these plants
3. (Plants) the ripe red fruit of the sweet pepper
4. (Cookery) another name for cayenne pepper
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
2. a pepper, Capsicum annuum longum, cultivated in many varieties, the yellow or red pods of which are used for flavoring, sauces, etc.
3. the mild, ripe fruit of the sweet pepper, Capsicum annuum grossum, used as a vegetable.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||red pepper - ground pods and seeds of pungent red peppers of the genus Capsicum|
flavorer, flavoring, flavourer, flavouring, seasoning, seasoner - something added to food primarily for the savor it imparts
|2.||red pepper - very hot red peppers; usually long and thin; some very small|
hot pepper - any of various pungent capsicum fruits
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.