redingote(redirected from redingotes)
1. A man's long double-breasted topcoat with full skirt.
2. A woman's full-length unlined coat or dress open down the front to show a dress or underdress.
[French, alteration of English riding coat.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a woman's coat with a close-fitting top and a full skirt
2. (Clothing & Fashion) a man's or woman's full-skirted outer coat of the 18th and 19th centuries
3. (Clothing & Fashion) a woman's light dress or coat of the 18th century, with an open-fronted skirt, revealing a decorative underskirt
[C19: from French, from English riding coat]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a dress or lightweight coat, usu. belted, open along the entire front to reveal a dress or petticoat worn under it.
2. a coatdress with a contrasting gore in front.
3. a long, double-breasted overcoat worn by men in the 18th century.
[1825–35; < French < E riding coat]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.