redstart(redirected from redstarts)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
a. A small warbler (Setophaga ruticilla) of the Americas, the male of which has black plumage with orange patches on the wings and tail.
b. Any of several warblers of the genus Myioborus of South and Central America and southwest North America, resembling Setophaga ruticilla but having white rather than orange on the tail. Also called whitestart.
2. Any of several small flycatchers of Eurasia and Africa, especially Phoenicurus phoenicurus, having grayish plumage and a rust-red breast and tail.
[red + obsolete start, tail (from Middle English stert, from Old English steort; see ster- in Indo-European roots).]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Animals) any European songbird of the genus Phoenicurus, esp P. phoenicurus, in which the male has a black throat, orange-brown tail and breast, and grey back: family Muscicapidae (thrushes, etc)
2. (Animals) any North American warbler of the genus Setophaga, esp S. ruticilla
[Old English rēad red + steort tail; compare German Rotsterz]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. any of several New World wood warblers that habitually fan their tails, esp. Setophaga ruticilla, the male of which is mostly black with orange wing and tail patches.
2. any of several small Eurasian thrushes of the genus Phoenicurus, having reddish brown tails, esp. P. phoenicurus.
[1560–70; red + obsolete start tail]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||redstart - flycatching warbler of eastern North America the male having bright orange on sides and wings and tail|
flycatching warbler - any of numerous American wood warblers that feed on insects caught on the wing
|2.||redstart - European songbird with a reddish breast and tail; related to Old World robins|
thrush - songbirds characteristically having brownish upper plumage with a spotted breast
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.