Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to reduplication: affixation
1. The act of reduplicating or the state of being reduplicated.
2. The product or result of reduplicating.
a. A word formed by or containing a reduplicated element.
b. The added element in a word form that is reduplicated.
1. the process or an instance of redoubling
2. the state, condition, or quality of being redoubled
3. a thing that has been redoubled
4. (Linguistics) repetition of a sound or syllable in a word, as in the formation of the Latin perfect tetigi from tangere "touch"
re•du•pli•ca•tion(rɪˌdu plɪˈkeɪ ʃən, -ˌdyu-)
1. an act or instance of reduplicating; the state of being reduplicated.
a. reduplicating as a grammatical pattern.
b. the added element in a reduplicated form.
c. a word formed by reduplication, as hush-hush or helter-skelter.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||reduplication - repetition of the final words of a sentence or line at the beginning of the next|
repetition - the repeated use of the same word or word pattern as a rhetorical device
|2.||reduplication - the syllable added in a reduplicated word form|
syllable - a unit of spoken language larger than a phoneme; "the word `pocket' has two syllables"
|3.||reduplication - a word formed by or containing a repeated syllable or speech sound (usually at the beginning of the word)|
word - a unit of language that native speakers can identify; "words are the blocks from which sentences are made"; "he hardly said ten words all morning"
|4.||reduplication - the act of repeating over and again (or an instance thereof)|