Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
(Agriculture) agriculture archaic Scot a walled enclosure for sheep, cattle, and pigs
1. an administrative officer of a town or district.
2. (in Canada) the presiding officer of a village or town council.
3. a steward or overseer of a medieval manor.
4. (in Anglo-Saxon times) a person of high rank representing the crown.
[before 900; Middle English (i)reve, Old English gerēfa high official, literally, head of a rōf array, number (of soldiers); compare sheriff]
v.t. rove reeved, reev•ing.
1. to pass (a rope or the like) through a hole, ring, or the like.
2. to fasten by placing through or around something.
[1620–30; < Dutch reven to reef; see reef2]
the female of the ruff, Philomachus pugnax. Also called ree.
[1625–35; orig. uncertain]