reeking(redirected from reekingly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
intr.v. reeked, reek·ing, reeks
1. To give off a strong unpleasant odor: "Grandma, who reeks of face powder and lilac water" (Garrison Keillor).
2. To be pervaded by something unpleasant: "This document ... reeks of self-pity and self-deception" (Christopher Hitchens).
3. Chiefly British To smoke, steam, or fume.
1. A strong offensive odor; a stench. See Synonyms at stench.
2. Chiefly British Smoke or vapor.
[Middle English reken, to emit smoke, from Old English rēocan, to emit smoke, and rēcan, to expose to smoke; see reug- in Indo-European roots.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||reeking - wet with secreted or exuded moisture such as sweat or tears; "wiped his reeking neck"|
wet - covered or soaked with a liquid such as water; "a wet bathing suit"; "wet sidewalks"; "wet weather"
|2.||reeking - giving off a strong unpleasant smell|