Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
v. re·fined, re·fin·ing, re·fines
1. To reduce to a pure state; purify.
2. To remove by purifying.
3. To free from coarse, unsuitable, or immoral characteristics: refined his manners; refined her speaking style.
1. To become free of impurities.
2. To acquire polish or elegance.
3. To use precise distinctions and subtlety in thought or speech.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||refining - the process of removing impurities (as from oil or metals or sugar etc.)|
processing - preparing or putting through a prescribed procedure; "the processing of newly arrived immigrants"; "the processing of ore to obtain minerals"
rectification - (chemistry) the process of refinement or purification of a substance by distillation