Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The study of reflex responses, especially as they affect behavior.
2. A method of massage that relieves tension through the application of finger pressure, especially to the feet.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Complementary Medicine) a form of therapy practised as a treatment in alternative medicine in which the soles of the feet are massaged: designed to stimulate the blood supply and nerves and thus relieve tension
2. (Psychology) psychol the belief that behaviour can be understood in terms of combinations of reflexes
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
re•flex•ol•o•gy(ˌri flɛkˈsɒl ə dʒi)
a system of massaging specific areas of the foot or sometimes the hand in order to promote healing, relieve stress, etc., in other parts of the body.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
the oriental art of treating certain disorders by stimulating special areas on the sole of the foot. — reflexologist, n.See also: Remedies
the study of behavior and its interpretation according to a concept that regards behavior as a combination of simple and complex reflexes. — reflexologist, n. — reflexological, adj.See also: Psychology
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. A form of therapy used in alternative medicine, in which the soles of the feet are massaged .
2. Developed from zone therapy, this is a method of bringing about relaxation, balance and healing through the stimulation of specific points on the feet, or the hands.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||reflexology - the study of reflex action as it relates to the behavior of organisms|
|2.||reflexology - massage to relieve tension by finger pressure; based on the belief that there are reflex points on the feet, hands, and head that are connected to every part of the body|
massage - kneading and rubbing parts of the body to increase circulation and promote relaxation
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
reflexology[ˌriːflɛkˈsɒlədʒi] n → réflexologie f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n (Med) → Reflexologie f; (= practice) → Reflexzonenmassage f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.