Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The study of reflex responses, especially as they affect behavior.
2. A method of massage that relieves tension through the application of finger pressure, especially to the feet.
1. (Complementary Medicine) a form of therapy practised as a treatment in alternative medicine in which the soles of the feet are massaged: designed to stimulate the blood supply and nerves and thus relieve tension
2. (Psychology) psychol the belief that behaviour can be understood in terms of combinations of reflexes
re•flex•ol•o•gy(ˌri flɛkˈsɒl ə dʒi)
a system of massaging specific areas of the foot or sometimes the hand in order to promote healing, relieve stress, etc., in other parts of the body.
the oriental art of treating certain disorders by stimulating special areas on the sole of the foot. — reflexologist, n.See also: Remedies
the study of behavior and its interpretation according to a concept that regards behavior as a combination of simple and complex reflexes. — reflexologist, n. — reflexological, adj.See also: Psychology
1. A form of therapy used in alternative medicine, in which the soles of the feet are massaged .
2. Developed from zone therapy, this is a method of bringing about relaxation, balance and healing through the stimulation of specific points on the feet, or the hands.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||reflexology - the study of reflex action as it relates to the behavior of organisms|
|2.||reflexology - massage to relieve tension by finger pressure; based on the belief that there are reflex points on the feet, hands, and head that are connected to every part of the body|
massage - kneading and rubbing parts of the body to increase circulation and promote relaxation