Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Cooling or freezing; refrigerating.
2. Medicine Reducing fever.
1. A substance, such as air, ammonia, water, or carbon dioxide, used to provide cooling either as the working substance of a refrigerator or by direct absorption of heat.
2. Medicine An agent used to reduce fever.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (General Physics) a fluid capable of changes of phase at low temperatures: used as the working fluid of a refrigerator
2. (General Physics) a cooling substance, such as ice or solid carbon dioxide
3. (Medicine) med an agent that provides a sensation of coolness or reduces fever
causing cooling or freezing
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
re•frig•er•ant(rɪˈfrɪdʒ ər ənt)
1. refrigerating; cooling.
2. reducing bodily heat or fever.n.
3. a refrigerant agent, as a drug.
4. a liquid capable of vaporizing at a low temperature, as ammonia, used in mechanical refrigeration.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A substance, such as ice or ammonia, used to cool something by absorbing heat from it. Refrigerants are usually substances that evaporate quickly. In the process of evaporation they draw heat from surrounding substances.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||refrigerant - any substance used to provide cooling (as in a refrigerator)|
substance - a particular kind or species of matter with uniform properties; "shigella is one of the most toxic substances known to man"
cryogen - a liquid that boils at below -160 C and is used as a refrigerant
|Adj.||1.||refrigerant - causing cooling or freezing; "a refrigerant substance such as ice or solid carbon dioxide"|
cold - having a low or inadequate temperature or feeling a sensation of coldness or having been made cold by e.g. ice or refrigeration; "a cold climate"; "a cold room"; "dinner has gotten cold"; "cold fingers"; "if you are cold, turn up the heat"; "a cold beer"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
refrigerant[rɪˈfrɪdʒərənt] N → refrigerante m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
adj → kühlend
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
a. refrigerante; antipirético-a.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012