Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One who rules during the minority, absence, or disability of a monarch.
2. One acting as a ruler or governor.
3. A member of a board that governs an institution, such as a state university.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin regēns, regent-, ruler, from present participle of regere, to rule; see reg- in Indo-European roots.]
re′gent·al (-jən-tl) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the ruler or administrator of a country during the minority, absence, or incapacity of its monarch
2. (Education) (formerly) a senior teacher or administrator in any of certain universities
3. (Professions) (formerly) a senior teacher or administrator in any of certain universities
4. (Education) US and Canadian a member of the governing board of certain schools and colleges
5. (Professions) US and Canadian a member of the governing board of certain schools and colleges
6. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) rare any person who governs or rules
7. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (usually postpositive) acting or functioning as a regent: a queen regent.
8. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) rare governing, ruling, or controlling
[C14: from Latin regēns ruling, from regere to rule]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a person who exercises the ruling power in a kingdom during the minority, absence, or disability of the sovereign.
2. a ruler or governor.
3. a member of the governing board of a state university or a state educational system.
4. any of various officers of academic institutions.adj.
5. acting as regent of a kingdom (usu. used postpositively): a prince regent.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Latin regent- (s. of regēns), present participle of regere to rule]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||regent - members of a governing board |
governing board - a board that manages the affairs of an institution
committee member - a member of a committee
|2.||regent - someone who rules during the absence or incapacity or minority of the country's monarch|
|Adj.||1.||regent - acting or functioning as a regent or ruler; "prince-regent"|
combining form - a bound form used only in compounds; "`hemato-' is a combining form in words like `hematology'"
powerful - having great power or force or potency or effect; "the most powerful government in western Europe"; "his powerful arms"; "a powerful bomb"; "the horse's powerful kick"; "powerful drugs"; "a powerful argument"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
وَصي على العَرْش
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
regent[ˈriːdʒənt] n [country] → régent(e) m/f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
regent[ˈriːdʒ/ənt] n → reggente m/f
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a person who governs in place of a king or queen. The prince was only two years old when the king died, so his uncle was appointed regent. regent وَصي على العَرْش регент regente regent, -ka der/die Regent(in) regent αντιβασιλέαςregente regent نایب السلطنه sijaishallitsija régent/-ente עוצר राज्य-प्रतिनिधि regent kormányzó wali raja ríkisstjóri reggente 摂政 섭정 regentas reģents pemangku raja regentriksforstander, regent regent دپاچاه نايب regente regent регент regent, -ka regent regent regent ผู้สำเร็จราชการ naip, hükümdar vekili 攝政王(后) регент ناءب ریاست quan nhiếp chính 摄政者（王）
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.