Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. Political division of an area into partially autonomous regions.
b. Advocacy of such a political system.
2. Loyalty to the interests of a particular region.
3. A feature, such as an expression, a pronunciation, or a custom, that is characteristic of a geographic area.
4. The use of regional characteristics, as of locale, custom, or speech, in literature or art.
5. A policy whereby the interests of a nation in world affairs are defined in terms of particular countries or regions.
re′gion·al·ist adj. & n.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) division of a country into administrative regions having partial autonomy
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) advocacy of such division
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) loyalty to one's home region; regional patriotism
4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the common interests of national groups, people, etc, living in the same part of the world
5. a word, custom, accent, or other characteristic associated with a specific region
ˈregionalist n, adj
re•gion•al•ism(ˈri dʒə nlˌɪz əm)
1. the principle or system of dividing a city, state, etc., into separate administrative regions.
2. a speech form, expression, custom, or other feature peculiar to or characteristic of a particular area.
3. devotion to the interests of one's own region.
4. (sometimes cap.) the theory or practice of emphasizing regional characteristics in a work of literature or a painting.
re′gion•al•ist, n., adj.
a quality in literature that is the product of fidelity to the habits, speech, manners, history, folklore, and beliefs of a particular geographical section, as Thomas Hardy and Wessex. — regionalist, n. — regionalistic, adj.See also: Literature
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||regionalism - a feature (as a pronunciation or expression or custom) that is characteristic of a particular region|
non-standard speech - speech that differs from the usual accepted, easily recognizable speech of native adult members of a speech community
|2.||regionalism - a foreign policy that defines the international interests of a country in terms of particular geographic areas|
foreign policy - a policy governing international relations
|3.||regionalism - loyalty to the interests of a particular region|