Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
v. re·grouped, re·group·ing, re·groups
1. To arrange in a new grouping.
2. To put back together in a tactical formation, as after a dispersal in a retreat.
1. To come together again in a group.
2. To come back together in a tactical formation, as after a dispersal in a retreat.
a. To reorganize for renewed effort, as after a temporary setback.
b. To recollect one's composure and focus for a renewed effort: The pitcher regrouped and struck out the side in the next inning.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Military) to reorganize (military forces), esp after an attack or a defeat
2. (tr) to rearrange into a new grouping or groupings
3. (intr) to consider using different tactics after a setback in a contest or argument
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. to form into a new or restructured group or grouping.v.i.
2. to become reorganized in order to make a fresh start.
3. Mil. to become organized in a new tactical formation.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: regrouped
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||regroup - organize anew, as after a setback|
|2.||regroup - reorganize into new groups|
group - arrange into a group or groups; "Can you group these shapes together?"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
vt (MILITARY) [+ forces] → regrouper
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995