Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. Exercise of sovereign power, as by a monarch.
2. The period during which a monarch rules.
3. Dominance or widespread influence: the reign of reason.
intr.v. reigned, reign·ing, reigns
1. To exercise sovereign power.
2. To hold the title of monarch, but with limited authority.
3. To be predominant or prevalent: Panic reigned as the fire spread.
(Government, Politics & Diplomacy) exercising the power and authority of a sovereign
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||reigning - exercising power or authority|
powerful - having great power or force or potency or effect; "the most powerful government in western Europe"; "his powerful arms"; "a powerful bomb"; "the horse's powerful kick"; "powerful drugs"; "a powerful argument"