Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to replication: DNA replication
a. The act or process of replicating something.
b. Biology The process by which genetic material, a single-celled organism, or a virus reproduces or makes a copy of itself.
c. In scientific research, the repetition of an experiment to confirm findings or to ensure accuracy.
d. A copy or reproduction: a replication of a famous painting.
2. Law The plaintiff's response to the defendant's answer or plea; a reply.
1. a reply or response
2. (Law) law (formerly) the plaintiff's reply to a defendant's answer or plea
3. (Biology) biology the production of exact copies of complex molecules, such as DNA molecules, that occurs during growth of living organisms
4. repetition of a procedure, such as a scientific experiment, in order to reduce errors
5. a less common word for replica
[C14: via Old French from Latin replicātiō a folding back, from replicāre to unroll; see reply]
rep•li•ca•tion(ˌrɛp lɪˈkeɪ ʃən)
1. a reply; answer.
2. the reply of a plaintiff to a defendant's plea or answer.
3. reverberation; echo.
4. copy; replica.
5. the act or process of replicating, esp. in a scientific experiment.
6. the process by which double-stranded DNA makes copies of itself, each strand, as it separates, synthesizing a complementary strand.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||replication - the act of making copies; "Gutenberg's reproduction of holy texts was far more efficient"|
scanning - the act of systematically moving a finely focused beam of light or electrons over a surface in order to produce an image of it for analysis or transmission
copying - an act of copying
sound reproduction - the reproduction of sound
|2.||replication - (genetics) the process whereby DNA makes a copy of itself before cell division|
|3.||replication - a quick reply to a question or remark (especially a witty or critical one); "it brought a sharp rejoinder from the teacher"|
back talk, backtalk, sass, sassing, lip, mouth - an impudent or insolent rejoinder; "don't give me any of your sass"
|4.||replication - (law) a pleading made by a plaintiff in reply to the defendant's plea or answer|
pleading - (law) a statement in legal and logical form stating something on behalf of a party to a legal proceeding
|5.||replication - the repetition of a sound resulting from reflection of the sound waves; "she could hear echoes of her own footsteps"|
re-echo - the echo of an echo
|6.||replication - copy that is not the original; something that has been copied|
copy - a thing made to be similar or identical to another thing; "she made a copy of the designer dress"; "the clone was a copy of its ancestor"
toy - a nonfunctional replica of something else (frequently used as a modifier); "a toy stove"
|7.||replication - the repetition of an experiment in order to test the validity of its conclusion; "scientists will not believe an experimental result until they have seen at least one replication"|