Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to representatively: respectively
1. One that serves as an example or type for others of the same classification.
2. One that serves as a delegate or agent for another.
a. A member of a governmental body, usually legislative, chosen by popular vote.
b. A member of the US House of Representatives or of the lower house of a state legislature.
1. Representing, depicting, or portraying or able to do so.
2. Authorized to act as an official delegate or agent.
3. Of or characteristic of government by representation.
4. Like or typical of others of the same class.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.