Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to republicanism: Individual rights
1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a republic.
2. Favoring a republic as the best form of government.
3. Republican Of, relating to, characteristic of, or belonging to the Republican Party of the United States.
1. One who favors a republic as the best form of government.
2. Republican A member of the Republican Party of the United States.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the principles or theory of republican government
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) support for a republic
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (often capital) support for a Republican Party or for the Irish Republican Army
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
re•pub•li•can•ism(rɪˈpʌb lɪ kəˌnɪz əm)
1. republican government.
2. republican principles or adherence to them.
3. (cap.) the principles or policy of the Republican Party.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
the principles of a theory of government in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and exercised by representatives they elect directly or indirectly and by an elected or nominated president.See also: Government
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||republicanism - the political orientation of those who hold that a republic is the best form of government|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
republicanism[rɪˈpʌblɪkənɪzəm] N → republicanismo m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Republicanism[rɪˈpʌblɪkənɪzəm] n (in US) [Republican Party] → républicanisme m
republicanism[rɪˈpʌblɪkənɪzəm] n → républicanisme mRepublican Party n (in US) → parti m républicainRepublic of Ireland n
the Republic of Ireland → la République d'Irlande
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Republikanismus m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
republicanism[rɪˈpʌblɪkəˌnɪz/əm] n → repubblicanesimo
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995