Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
ré·seauor re·seau (rā-zō′, rĭ-)
n. pl. réseaus or réseaux (-zōz′, -zō′) or re·seaus or re·seaux
1. A net or mesh foundation for lace.
2. Astronomy A reference grid of fine lines forming uniform squares on a photographic plate or print, used to aid in measuring the relative positions and sizes of objects in the photograph.
3. A mosaic screen of fine lines of three colors, used in color photography.
[French, from Old French reseuil, diminutive of raiz, net, from Latin rēte.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -seaux (-zəʊ; -zəʊz) or -seaus
1. (Textiles) a mesh background to a lace or other pattern
2. (Astronomy) astronomy a network of fine lines cut into a glass plate used as a reference grid on star photographs
3. (Photography) photog a screen covered in a regular pattern of minute coloured dots or lines, formerly used in colour photography
[C19: from French, from Old French resel a little net, from rais net, from Latin rēte]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -seaux (-ˈzoʊz, -ˈzoʊ)
1. a netted or meshed ground in lace.
2. a network of fine lines on a glass plate, used in a photographic telescope to produce a corresponding network on photographs of the stars.
[1570–80; < French réseau, Old French resel, diminutive of rais net < Vulgar Latin *rētis (singular) or *rētēs (pl.), for Latin rēte]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A grid system of a standard size in the image plane of a photographic system used for mensuration purposes.
Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms. US Department of Defense 2005.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||reseau - a net or mesh foundation for lace|
|2.||reseau - a network of fine lines used by astronomers as a reference for measurements on star photographs|
network - a system of intersecting lines or channels; "a railroad network"; "a network of canals"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.