certified(redirected from respiratory therapy technician)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to respiratory therapy technician: Respiratory tech
v. cer·ti·fied, cer·ti·fy·ing, cer·ti·fies
a. To confirm formally as true, accurate, or genuine: The police certified that a suspect had been arrested.
b. To guarantee as meeting a standard: butter that was certified Grade A.
2. To acknowledge in writing on the face of (a check) that the signature of the maker is genuine and that there are sufficient funds on deposit for its payment.
3. To issue a license or certificate to.
4. To declare to be in need of psychiatric treatment or confinement.
5. Archaic To inform positively; assure.
To vouch for the authenticity of something: certify to the facts.
[Middle English certifien, from Old French certifier, from Late Latin certificāre : Latin certus, certain; see certain + Latin -ficāre, -fy.]
1. holding or guaranteed by a certificate
2. endorsed or guaranteed: a certified cheque.
3. (Law) (of a person) declared legally insane
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||certified - endorsed authoritatively as having met certain requirements; "a certified public accountant"|
documented - furnished with or supported by documents; "the first documented case of shark attack in those waters"
uncertified - lacking requisite official documentation or endorsement
|2.||certified - fit to be certified as insane (and treated accordingly)|
insane - afflicted with or characteristic of mental derangement; "was declared insane"; "insane laughter"
|3.||certified - holding appropriate documentation and officially on record as qualified to perform a specified function or practice a specified skill; "a registered pharmacist"; "a registered hospital"|
registered - listed or recorded officially; "record is made of `registered mail' at each point on its route to assure safe delivery"; "registered bonds"