Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One that retains, as a device, frame, or groove that restrains or guides.
2. Dentistry An appliance used to hold teeth in position after orthodontic treatment.
a. An employee, typically a long-term employee.
b. A servant or an attendant, especially one in the household of a person of high rank.
1. The act of engaging the services of a professional adviser, such as an attorney, counselor, or consultant.
2. The fee paid to retain a professional adviser.
1. (Historical Terms) history a supporter or dependant of a person of rank, esp a soldier
2. a servant, esp one who has been with a family for a long time
3. (Mechanical Engineering) a clip, frame, or similar device that prevents a part of a machine, engine, etc, from moving
4. (Dentistry) a dental appliance for holding a loose tooth or prosthetic device in position
5. a fee paid in advance to secure first option on the services of a barrister, jockey, etc
6. a reduced rent paid for a flat, room, etc, during absence to reserve it for future use
1. one that retains.
2. a servant or attendant who has been with a family for many years.
3. (esp. in feudal times) a person attached to a noble household and owing it occasional service.
4. any of various devices for maintaining the position of the natural teeth, attaching or stabilizing a denture, etc.
1. the act of retaining in one's service.
2. the fact of being retained.
3. a fee paid to secure services, as of a lawyer.
the fee paid to a professional person, as a lawyer, to engage his services.See also: Dues and Payment
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||retainer - a fee charged in advance to retain the services of someone|
fee - a fixed charge for a privilege or for professional services
|2.||retainer - a person working in the service of another (especially in the household)|
worker - a person who works at a specific occupation; "he is a good worker"
body servant - a valet or personal maid
cabin boy - a young man acting as a servant on a ship
domestic, domestic help, house servant - a servant who is paid to perform menial tasks around the household
factotum - a servant employed to do a variety of jobs
familiar - a person attached to the household of a high official (as a pope or bishop) who renders service in return for support
manservant - a man servant
menial - a domestic servant
scullion - a kitchen servant employed to do menial tasks (especially washing)
|3.||retainer - a dental appliance that holds teeth (or a prosthesis) in position after orthodontic treatment|
dental appliance - a device to repair teeth or replace missing teeth
n. [dentistry] aro, freno de retención.