Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
v. re·tard·ed, re·tard·ing, re·tards
To cause to move or proceed slowly; delay or impede.
To be delayed.
1. A slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay.
2. Music A slackening of tempo.
[Middle English retarden, from Old French retarder, from Latin retardāre : re-, re- + tardāre, to delay (from tardus, slow).]
n. Offensive Slang
1. Used as a disparaging term for a person with an intellectual disability.
2. A person considered to be foolish or socially inept.
[Short for retarded.]
1. a person or thing that retards
2. (Chemistry) a substance added to slow down the rate of a chemical change, such as one added to cement to delay its setting