retread(redirected from retrod)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
tr.v. re·tread·ed, re·tread·ing, re·treads
1. To fit (a worn automotive tire) with a new tread.
2. To make or do over again, especially with minimal revision; rehash: retreading a familiar story line.
1. A tire that has been fitted with a new tread.
2. A revision or reworking; a remake or rehash: a trite retread of an old musical.
3. Informal A person who has been retrained for work.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
vb, -treads, -treading or -treaded
(Automotive Engineering) (tr) another word for remould2
1. (Automotive Engineering) another word for remould3
2. (Industrial Relations & HR Terms) informal Austral and NZ a pensioner who has resumed employment, esp in a former profession
3. (Film) a film, piece of music, etc, which is a superficially altered version of an earlier original
4. (Pop Music) a film, piece of music, etc, which is a superficially altered version of an earlier original
5. a film, piece of music, etc, which is a superficially altered version of an earlier original
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
re•tread(v. riˈtrɛd; n. ˈriˌtrɛd)
1. to put a new tread on (a worn pneumatic tire casing) either by recapping or by cutting fresh treads.
2. to revive or rework, esp. without the inventiveness of the original.n.
3. a tire that has been retreaded.
4. Informal. a person returned to a position or occupation after retirement or dismissal.
5. a reviving or reworking of an old or familiar idea, story, etc.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: retreaded
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||retread - a used automobile tire that has been remolded to give it new treads|
|Verb||1.||retread - use again in altered form; "retread an old plot"|
|2.||retread - give new treads to (a tire)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995