Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Wikipedia.
A review or contemplation of things in the past: "He pursed his lips in the exercise of a retrospect across the years" (Flann O'Brien).
v. ret·ro·spect·ed, ret·ro·spect·ing, ret·ro·spects
To think about the past.
To look back on or think about (things past).
In looking back on or reviewing the past.
[From Latin *retrōspectus, past participle of retrōspicere, to look back at : retrō-, retro- + specere, to look at; see spek- in Indo-European roots.]
the act of surveying things past (often in the phrase in retrospect)
1. to contemplate (anything past); look back on (something)
2. (often foll by: to) to refer
[C17: from Latin retrōspicere to look back, from retro- + specere to look]
1. contemplation of the past; a survey of past time, events, etc.v.i.
2. to look back in thought; refer back (often fol. by to).v.t.
3. to look back upon; contemplate retrospectively.Idioms:
in retrospect, on evaluating the past; upon reflection.
Past participle: retrospected
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||retrospect - contemplation of things past; "in retrospect"|
|Verb||1.||retrospect - look back upon (a period of time, sequence of events); remember; "she reviewed her achievements with pride"|