Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to rhubarb: rhubarb pie
1. Any of several plants of the genus Rheum, especially R. rhabarbarum, having long edible green or reddish leafstalks that are usually cooked and sweetened. Also called pie plant.
2. A preparation made from the dried rhizomes and roots of any of several plants of the genus Rheum, especially R. palmatum or R. officinale of East Asia, used as a laxative.
3. Informal A quarrel, fight, or heated discussion.
[Middle English rubarbe, from Old French, from Late Latin reubarbarum, probably alteration (influenced by Greek rhēon) of rhabarbarum : rha, rhubarb (from Greek rhā, of Iranian origin; akin to Middle Persian rēwās and Pashto rawāš) + Latin barbarum, neuter of barbarus, barbarian, foreign; see barbarous.]
1. (Plants) any of several temperate and subtropical plants of the polygonaceous genus Rheum, esp R. rhaponticum (common garden rhubarb), which has long green and red acid-tasting edible leafstalks, usually eaten sweetened and cooked
2. (Plants) the leafstalks of this plant
3. (Pharmacology) a related plant, Rheum officinale, of central Asia, having a bitter-tasting underground stem that can be dried and used medicinally as a laxative or astringent
4. slang US and Canadian a heated discussion or quarrel
5. the noise made by actors to simulate conversation, esp by repeating the word rhubarb at random
to simulate conversation, esp by repeating the word rhubarb at random
[C14: from Old French reubarbe, from Medieval Latin reubarbum, probably a variant of rha barbarum barbarian rhubarb, from rha rhubarb (from Greek, perhaps from Rha ancient name of the Volga) + Latin barbarus barbarian]
1. any of several plants of the genus Rheum, of the buckwheat family, as R. officinale, having a medicinal rhizome, and R. rhabarbarum, having edible leafstalks.
2. the edible fleshy leafstalks of R. rhabarbarum.
3. Slang. a quarrel or squabble.
[1350–1400; rubarb < Old French r(e)ubarbe < Medieval Latin reubarbarum < Greek rhéon bárbaron foreign rhubarb]
Past participle: rhubarbed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||rhubarb - long pinkish sour leafstalks usually eaten cooked and sweetened|
|2.||rhubarb - plants having long green or reddish acidic leafstalks growing in basal clumps; stems (and only the stems) are edible when cooked; leaves are poisonous|
herb, herbaceous plant - a plant lacking a permanent woody stem; many are flowering garden plants or potherbs; some having medicinal properties; some are pests
Himalayan rhubarb, red-veined pie plant, Rheum australe, Rheum emodi, Indian rhubarb - Asian herb (Himalayas)
garden rhubarb, pie plant, Rheum cultorum, Rheum rhabarbarum, Rheum rhaponticum - long cultivated hybrid of Rheum palmatum; stems often cooked in pies or as sauce or preserves
Informal. A discussion, often heated, in which a difference of opinion is expressed:
altercation, argument, bicker, clash, contention, controversy, debate, difficulty, disagreement, dispute, fight, polemic, quarrel, run-in, spat, squabble, tiff, word (used in plural), wrangle.
راوَنْدراوَند ريباسي: نبات لِمُداواة المَعِدَه
cây đại hoàng
n → Rhabarber m; “rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb” (Theat, hum) → „Rhabarbarhabarbarhabarba“
a large-leaved garden plant, the stalks of which can be cooked and eaten. rabarber راوَند ريباسي: نبات لِمُداواة المَعِدَه ревен ruibarbo / vozerio reveň der Rhabarber rabarber ραβέντιruibarbo rabarber ریوند چینی؛ ریواس رنگ لیمویی rhubarb rhubarbe רִיבס रेवा चीनी rabarbara rebarbara nama pohon yang batangnya dapat dibuat makanan rabarbari rabarbaro だいおう 대황(大黃) rabarbaras rabarbers pokok rubarb rabarberrabarbrarabarbar پښى، رواش ruibarbo rubarbă ревень rebarbora rabarbara rabarbara rabarber ผักชนิดหนึ่ง ravent 大黃 ревінь بڑی پتیوں والا ایک پودا جسے ادویات میں استعمال کیا جاتا ہے cây đại hoàng 大黄