Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A narrow strip or band of fabric, especially a fine fabric such as satin or velvet, finished at the edges and used for trimming, tying, or finishing.
a. Something, such as a tape measure, that resembles a ribbon.
b. A long thin strip: a ribbon of sand along the shore.
3. ribbons Tattered or ragged strips: a dress torn to ribbons.
4. An inked strip of cloth used for making an impression, as in a typewriter.
a. A band of colored cloth signifying membership in an order or the award of a prize.
b. A strip of colored cloth worn on the left breast of a uniform to indicate the award of a medal or decoration.
6. ribbons Informal Reins for driving horses.
7. See ledger board.
tr.v. rib·boned, rib·bon·ing, rib·bons
1. To decorate or tie with ribbons.
2. To tear into ribbons or shreds.
[Middle English ribban, riban, from Old French ruban, probably of Germanic origin; see bhendh- in Indo-European roots.]
1. a narrow strip of fine material, esp silk, used for trimming, tying, etc
2. something resembling a ribbon; a long strip: a ribbon of land.
3. (Mechanical Engineering) a long thin flexible band of metal used as a graduated measure, spring, etc
4. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a long narrow strip of ink-impregnated cloth for making the impression of type characters on paper in a typewriter or similar device
5. (plural) ragged strips or shreds (esp in the phrase torn to ribbons)
6. a small strip of coloured cloth signifying membership of an order or award of military decoration, prize, or other distinction
7. a small, usually looped, strip of coloured cloth worn to signify support for a charity or cause: a red AIDS ribbon.
8. to adorn with a ribbon or ribbons
9. to mark with narrow ribbon-like marks
10. to reduce to ribbons; tear into strips
[C14 ryban, from Old French riban, apparently of Germanic origin; probably related to ring1, band2]
ˈribbon-ˌlike, ˈribbony adj
1. a woven strip of fine material, used for ornament, tying, etc.
2. material in such strips.
3. anything resembling a ribbon.
4. ribbons, torn or ragged strips; shreds: torn to ribbons.
5. a band of inked material used in a typewriter, printer, etc.
6. a strip of material, as satin or rayon, being or representing a military medal or similar decoration.
7. a long, thin, flexible band of metal, as for a spring, a band saw, or a tapeline.
8. Carpentry. a thin horizontal piece let into studding to support the ends of joists.v.t.
9. to adorn with ribbon.
10. to mark with something suggesting ribbon.
11. to separate into ribbonlike strips.v.i.
12. to form in ribbonlike strips.
[1520–30; variant of Middle English riban(d) < Old French, variant of r(e)uban, perhaps < Germanic. compare band2]
Ribbona group or length of things in a form suggestive of a length of ribbon.
Examples: ribbons of bark, 1872; of beach, 1857; of iron, 1843; of lightning, 1889; of sky, 1893.
Past participle: ribboned
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ribbon - any long object resembling a thin line; "a mere ribbon of land"; "the lighted ribbon of traffic"; "from the air the road was a grey thread"; "a thread of smoke climbed upward"|
object, physical object - a tangible and visible entity; an entity that can cast a shadow; "it was full of rackets, balls and other objects"
blade - something long and thin resembling a blade of grass; "a blade of lint on his suit"
|2.||ribbon - an award for winning a championship or commemorating some other event|
accolade, honor, laurels, honour, award - a tangible symbol signifying approval or distinction; "an award for bravery"
Congressional Medal of Honor, Medal of Honor - the highest U.S. military decoration awarded for bravery and valor in action `above and beyond the call of duty'
Distinguished Service Medal - a United States military decoration for meritorious service in wartime duty of great responsibility
Distinguished Service Cross - a United States Army decoration for extraordinary heroism against an armed enemy
Navy Cross - a United States Navy decoration for extraordinary heroism against an armed enemy
Distinguished Flying Cross - a United States Air Force decoration for heroism while participating in an aerial flight
Air Medal - a United States Air Force decoration for meritorious achievement while participating in an aerial flight
Bronze Star, Bronze Star Medal - a United States military decoration awarded for meritorious service (except in aerial flight)
Order of the Purple Heart, Purple Heart - a United States military decoration awarded to any member of the armed forces who is wounded in action
Oak Leaf Cluster - a United States military decoration consisting of bronze or silver oak leaves and acorns awarded to anyone who has won a given medal before
Victoria Cross - a British military decoration for gallantry
Distinguished Conduct Medal - a British military decoration for distinguished conduct in the field
Distinguished Service Order - a British military decoration for special service in action
Croix de Guerre - a French military decoration for gallantry
Medaille Militaire - a French military decoration
|3.||ribbon - a long strip of inked material for making characters on paper with a typewriter|
typewriter - hand-operated character printer for printing written messages one character at a time
|4.||ribbon - notion consisting of a narrow strip of fine material used for trimming|
notion - (usually plural) small personal articles or clothing or sewing items; "buttons and needles are notions"
(for hair, dress) → Band nt; (for typewriter) → Farbband nt; (on medal) → Ordensband nt; (fig, narrow strip) → Streifen m
n (Brit) → Zeilenbauweise f
n (Tech) → Bandsäge f
a long narrow strip of material used in decorating clothes, tying hair etc. a blue ribbon; four metres of red ribbon. lint شَريط панделка fita stuha das Band bånd; hårsløjfe κορδέλα, ταινίαcinta pael روبان؛ نوار nauha rubanסרט फीता traka, vrpca szalag pita borði nastro リボン 리본, 띠 kaspinas, juosta lente reben lintbånd, strimmelwstążka رشمه ، پټى ، پيته fita panglică тесьма, лента stuha trak traka band โบ; ริบบิ้น kurdele 緞帶 стрічка; вузенька смужка فیتہ dải ruy-băng 缎（丝）带