ginseng(redirected from rice-paper plant)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Any of several plants of the genus Panax, especially P. ginseng of East Asia or P. quinquefolius of North America, having small greenish flowers grouped in umbels, palmately compound leaves, and forked roots used in herbal medicine.
2. The roots or preparations of the roots of any of these plants.
[Mandarin rénshēn, from Middle Chinese rin ʂəm : rin, human being, person + ʂəm, ginseng (the plant perhaps being so called in Middle Chinese because its forked root resembles the human figure).]
1. (Plants) either of two araliaceous plants, Panax schinseng of China or P. quinquefolius of North America, whose forked aromatic roots are used medicinally
2. (Plants) the root of either of these plants or a substance obtained from the roots, believed to possess stimulant, tonic, and energy-giving properties
[C17: from Mandarin Chinese jen shen, from jen man (from a resemblance of the roots to human legs) + shen ginseng]
1. any plant of the genus Panax, having an aromatic root used medicinally.
2. the root itself.
3. a preparation, as tea or extract, made from the root.
[1645–55; < Chinese rén-shēn]
A Korean root used in salads, for flavoring, and to make ginseng tea.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ginseng - aromatic root of ginseng plants |
nin-sin, Panax ginseng, Panax pseudoginseng, Panax schinseng, ginseng - Chinese herb with palmately compound leaves and small greenish flowers and forked aromatic roots believed to have medicinal powers
American ginseng, Panax quinquefolius, sang - North American woodland herb similar to and used as substitute for the Chinese ginseng
root - (botany) the usually underground organ that lacks buds or leaves or nodes; absorbs water and mineral salts; usually it anchors the plant to the ground
|2.||ginseng - Chinese herb with palmately compound leaves and small greenish flowers and forked aromatic roots believed to have medicinal powers|
genus Panax, Panax - perennial herbs of eastern North America and Asia having aromatic tuberous roots: ginseng
ginseng - aromatic root of ginseng plants