Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Riffor Rif (rĭf)
n. pl. Riff or Riffs or Rif or Rifs also Rif·fi (rĭf′ē)
1. A member of any of several Berber peoples inhabiting Er Rif.
2. The Berber language of this people.
Rif′fi·an adj. & n.
1. Music A short rhythmic phrase, especially one that is repeated in improvisation.
2. A repeated or varied theme, idea, or phrase: gave us another of his riffs on the decline of civilization.
intr.v. riffed, riff·ing, riffs
To play or make riffs. Often used with on.
1. (Jazz) (in jazz or rock music) a short series of chords
2. (Pop Music) (in jazz or rock music) a short series of chords
3. (Jazz) (intr) to play or perform riffs in jazz or rock music
4. (Pop Music) (intr) to play or perform riffs in jazz or rock music
5. informal to speak amusingly or make (amusing comments or remarks)
[C20: probably altered and shortened from refrain2]
1. an ostinato melodic phrase accompanying a soloist in jazz or rock music.
2. any variation or improvisation, as on an idea.v.i.
3. to perform a riff.
[1930–35; perhaps alter. of refrain2]
Past participle: riffed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Riff - a Berber living in northern Morocco|
Berber - a member of an indigenous people of northern Africa
|2.||riff - a jazz ostinato; usually provides a background for a solo improvisation|
ostinato - a musical phrase repeated over and over during a composition
|Verb||1.||riff - look through a book or other written material; "He thumbed through the report"; "She leafed through the volume"|
peruse - examine or consider with attention and in detail; "Please peruse this report at your leisure"
|2.||riff - play riffs|