riff(redirected from Rifs)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to Rifs: RFIS
Riffor Rif (rĭf)
n. pl. Riff or Riffs or Rif or Rifs also Rif·fi (rĭf′ē)
1. A member of any of several Berber peoples inhabiting Er Rif.
2. The Berber language of this people.
Rif′fi·an adj. & n.
1. Music A short rhythmic phrase, especially one that is repeated in improvisation.
2. A repeated or varied theme, idea, or phrase: gave us another of his riffs on the decline of civilization.
intr.v. riffed, riff·ing, riffs
To play or make riffs. Often used with on.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Jazz) (in jazz or rock music) a short series of chords
2. (Pop Music) (in jazz or rock music) a short series of chords
3. (Jazz) (intr) to play or perform riffs in jazz or rock music
4. (Pop Music) (intr) to play or perform riffs in jazz or rock music
5. informal to speak amusingly or make (amusing comments or remarks)
[C20: probably altered and shortened from refrain2]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an ostinato melodic phrase accompanying a soloist in jazz or rock music.
2. any variation or improvisation, as on an idea.v.i.
3. to perform a riff.
[1930–35; perhaps alter. of refrain2]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: riffed
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Riff - a Berber living in northern Morocco|
Berber - a member of an indigenous people of northern Africa
|2.||riff - a jazz ostinato; usually provides a background for a solo improvisation|
ostinato - a musical phrase repeated over and over during a composition
|Verb||1.||riff - look through a book or other written material; "He thumbed through the report"; "She leafed through the volume"|
peruse - examine or consider with attention and in detail; "Please peruse this report at your leisure"
|2.||riff - play riffs|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
riff[rɪf] N (Mus) → riff m frase de dos o cuatro compases que se repite continuamente a lo largo de la canción
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
riff[ˈrɪf] n (MUSIC) → riff m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005