Also found in: Thesaurus.
Related to ritualize: ritualistic
tr.v. rit·u·al·ized, rit·u·al·iz·ing, rit·u·al·iz·es
1. To make a ceremony of or put in the form of a ceremony: The Christian service ritualizes the Last Supper in the Eucharist.
2. To put into a prescribed and socially acceptable form or order: "Sport ritualizes aggression and allows it to be linked with competitive achievement" (David Whitson).
3. Zoology To cause (behavior) to have the form of a ritual: courtship behavior that has become ritualized.
rit′u·al·i·za′tion (-ə-lĭ-zā′shən) n.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) (intr) to engage in ritualism or devise rituals
2. (Other Non-Christian Religions) (intr) to engage in ritualism or devise rituals
3. (Ecclesiastical Terms) (tr) to make (something) into a ritual
4. (Other Non-Christian Religions) (tr) to make (something) into a ritual
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
rit•u•al•ize(ˈrɪtʃ u əˌlaɪz)
v. -ized, -iz•ing. v.i.
1. to practice ritualism.v.t.
2. to make into a ritual.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: ritualized
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||ritualize - make or evolve into a ritual; "The growing up of children has become ritualized in many cultures"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
ritualize[ˈrɪtjʊəˌlaɪz] VT to ritualize sth → hacer de algo un ritual
it's a highly ritualized event → es un acontecimiento de marcado carácter ritualístico
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
vt → ritualisieren
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007