harl(redirected from rock dash)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. (tr) to drag (something) along the ground
2. (intr) to drag oneself; trail along
3. (Building) (tr) to cover (a building) with a mixture of lime and gravel; roughcast
4. (Angling) (intr) to troll for fish
5. the act of harling or dragging
6. a small quantity; a scraping
7. (Building) a mixture of lime and gravel; roughcast
[C18: of unknown origin]
(Angling) angling a variant of herl
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Harla leash of three hounds; a small quantity, sometimes termed a couple and a half. See also leash.
Examples: harl of greyhounds, 1847; of hounds, 1827.
Dictionary of Collective Nouns and Group Terms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: harled
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011