divider(redirected from room dividers)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
a. One that divides, especially a screen or other partition.
b. Chiefly British A highway median strip.
2. A device resembling a compass, used for dividing lines and transferring measurements.
1. (Furniture) Also called: room divider a screen or piece of furniture placed so as to divide a room into separate areas
2. a person or thing that divides
3. (Electronics) electronics an electrical circuit with an output that is a well-defined fraction of the given input: a voltage divider.
1. a person or thing that divides.
2. dividers, a pair of compasses, as used for dividing lines or measuring.
3. a partition between two areas or dividing one area into two.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||divider - a taxonomist who classifies organisms into many groups on the basis of relatively minor characteristics|
|2.||divider - a person who separates something into parts or groups|
individual, mortal, person, somebody, someone, soul - a human being; "there was too much for one person to do"
subdivider - someone who divides parts into smaller parts (especially a divider of land into building sites)
|3.||divider - a vertical structure that divides or separates (as a wall divides one room from another)|
brattice - a partition (often temporary) of planks or cloth that is used to control ventilation in a mine
bulkhead - a partition that divides a ship or plane into compartments
screen - partition consisting of a decorative frame or panel that serves to divide a space
structure, construction - a thing constructed; a complex entity constructed of many parts; "the structure consisted of a series of arches"; "she wore her hair in an amazing construction of whirls and ribbons"
wall - an architectural partition with a height and length greater than its thickness; used to divide or enclose an area or to support another structure; "the south wall had a small window"; "the walls were covered with pictures"
|4.||divider - a drafting instrument resembling a compass that is used for dividing lines into equal segments or for transferring measurements|
drafting instrument - an instrument used by a draftsman in making drawings