Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to rotogravure: peremptorily
1. An intaglio printing process in which letters and pictures are transferred from an etched copper cylinder to a web of paper, plastic, or similar material in a rotary press.
2. Printed material, such as a newspaper section, produced by this process.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
nOften shortened to: roto
1. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a printing process using a cylinder etched with many small recesses, from which ink is transferred to a moving web of paper, plastic, etc, in a rotary press
2. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) printed material produced in this way, esp magazines
[C20: from Latin rota wheel + gravure]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
ro•to•gra•vure(ˌroʊ tə grəˈvyʊər, -ˈgreɪ vyər)
1. a photomechanical process by which pictures, typeset matter, etc., are printed from an intaglio copper cylinder.
2. a print made by this process.
3. a section of a newspaper consisting of pages printed by the rotogravure process; magazine section.
[1910–15; < German Rotogravur]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||rotogravure - printing by transferring an image from a photogravure plate to a cylinder in a rotary press|
photogravure - printing from an intaglio plate prepared by photographic methods
|2.||rotogravure - printed material (text and pictures) produced by an intaglio printing process in a rotary press|
photojournalism - journalism that presents a story primarily through the use of pictures
|3.||rotogravure - using photography to produce a plate for printing|
gravure - the act of intaglio printing
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n → Kupferdruck m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007