Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to rouge: rogue
1. A red or pink cosmetic for coloring the cheeks or lips.
2. A reddish powder, chiefly ferric oxide, used to polish metals or glass.
v. rouged, roug·ing, roug·es
1. To put rouge onto: rouged her cheeks.
2. To color or prettify as if with a facial cosmetic: "Their job is to rouge up the war ... to turn the horror into cheering press releases" (Richard Corliss).
To use rouge.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a red powder, used as a cosmetic for adding redness to the cheeks
2. (Elements & Compounds) short for jeweller's rouge
(Clothing & Fashion) to apply rouge to
[C18: from French: red, from Latin rubeus]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., v. rouged, roug•ing. n.
1. any of various red cosmetics for coloring the cheeks or lips.
2. a reddish powder, chiefly ferric oxide, used for polishing metal, glass, etc.v.t.
3. to color with rouge.
4. to cause to blush.v.i.
5. to use rouge.
[1475–85; < French: red < Latin rubeus; akin to red]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
rouge- Rouge can also be called paint.
See also related terms for paint.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: rouged
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||rouge - makeup consisting of a pink or red powder applied to the cheeks|
|Verb||1.||rouge - redden by applying rouge to; "she rouged her cheeks"|
make up - apply make-up or cosmetics to one's face to appear prettier; "She makes herself up every morning"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
rouge[ruːʒ] n → belletto
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995