Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
vb (tr, adverb)
1. informal to treat violently; beat up
2. to cause (feathers, hair, etc) to stand up by rubbing against the grain
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||rough up - treat violently; "The police strong-armed the suspect"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. Having a surface that is not smooth:
3. Violently disturbed or agitated, as by storms:
4. Requiring great or extreme bodily, mental, or spiritual strength:
7. Lacking in delicacy or refinement:
9. Disagreeable to the sense of hearing:
10. In a primitive state; not domesticated or cultivated; produced by nature:
11. Not perfected, elaborated, or completed:
rough in or out
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.