rough-hew(redirected from rough-hewing)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
tr.v. rough-hewed, rough-hewed or rough-hewn (-hyo͞on′), rough-hew·ing, rough-hews
1. To hew or shape (timber, for example) roughly, without finishing.
2. To make in rough form.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
vb (tr) , -hews, -hewing, -hewed, -hewed or -hewn
1. (Building) to cut or hew (timber, stone, etc) roughly without finishing the surface
2. Also: roughcast to shape roughly or crudely
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
v.t. -hewed, -hewed or -hewn, -hew•ing.
1. to hew (timber, stone, etc.) roughly or without smoothing or finishing.
2. to shape roughly; give crude form to.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: rough-hewed/rough-hewn
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011