Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A gambling game in which the players bet on which slot of a rotating disk a small ball will come to rest in.
a. A small toothed disk of tempered steel attached to a handle and used to make rows of dots, slits, or perforations, as in engraving or on a sheet of postage stamps.
b. Any of the short consecutive incisions made between individual stamps in a sheet for easy separation.
tr.v. rou·lett·ed, rou·lett·ing, rou·lettes
To mark or divide with a roulette.
[French, from Old French ruelete, feminine diminutive of ruele, diminutive of roue, wheel, from Latin rota; see ret- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Gambling, except Cards) a gambling game in which a ball is dropped onto a spinning horizontal wheel divided into 37 or 38 coloured and numbered slots, with players betting on the slot into which the ball will fall
2. (Tools) a toothed wheel for making a line of perforations
3. a tiny slit made by such a wheel on a sheet of stamps as an aid to tearing it apart
4. (Mathematics) a curve generated by a point on one curve rolling on another
(Tools) to use a roulette on (something), as in engraving, making stationery, etc
[C18: from French, from rouelle a little wheel, from roue a wheel, from Latin rota]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., v. -let•ted, -let•ting. n.
1. a game of chance in which a small ball is spun on a dishlike device (roulette′ wheel`), with players betting on which of the black or red numbered compartments the ball will come to rest in.
2. a small wheel with sharp teeth, used for making lines of marks or perforations.
3. a row of short cuts, in which no paper is removed, made between individual stamps to permit their ready separation.v.t.
4. to mark, impress, or perforate with a roulette.
[1725–35; < French, diminutive of rouelle wheel]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: rouletted
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||roulette - a line generated by a point on one figure rolling around a second figure|
cycloid - a line generated by a point on a circle rolling along a straight line
epicycloid - a line generated by a point on a circle rolling around another circle
hypocycloid - a line generated by a point on a circle that rolls around inside another circle
|2.||roulette - a wheel with teeth for making a row of perforations|
wheel - a simple machine consisting of a circular frame with spokes (or a solid disc) that can rotate on a shaft or axle (as in vehicles or other machines)
|3.||roulette - a gambling game in which players bet on which compartment of a revolving wheel a small ball will come to rest in|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
رُوليتروليت: لُعْبَة قِمار بِواسِطَة دولاب
môn chôi Roulette
roulette[ruːˈlet] N → ruleta f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
roulette[ruːˈlɛt] n → roulette f inv
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a game of chance, played with a ball on a revolving wheel. roelet روليت: لُعْبَة قِمار بِواسِطَة دولاب рулетка roleta ruleta das Roulett roulette ρουλέταruleta rulett بازی رولت یا قمار ruletti rouletteרולטה एक प्रकार का खेल rulet rulett rolet rúlletta roulette ルーレット 룰렛(도박의 일종) ruletė rulete rolet rouletterulettruletka قمار roleta ruletă рулетка ruleta ruleta rulet roulett การพนันหมุนวงล้อโดยมีลูกให้ตกตามหมายเลข rulet 俄羅斯輪盤 рулетка ایک طرح کا جوءے کا کھیل trò chơi đánh bài ru-lét 轮盘赌
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
roulette→ رُوليت ruleta roulette Roulette ρουλέτα ruleta ruletti roulette rulet roulette ルーレット 룰렛 roulette rulett ruleta roleta рулетка roulett เกมส์พนันรูเลทท์ rulet môn chôi Roulette 轮盘赌
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009