Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
a. A set of customary or unchanging and often mechanically performed activities or procedures: a routine of housework. See Synonyms at method.
b. The practice of such activities or procedures: "Routine had caused stagnation" (Garry Wills).
2. A scripted piece of entertainment, especially in a nightclub or theater: The audience laughed at the comedian's routine.
3. Slang A particular kind of behavior or activity: Must you go into your hurt routine when you don't get your way?
4. Computers A set of programming instructions designed to perform a specific limited task.
1. In accord with established procedure: a routine check of passports.
2. Habitual; regular: made his routine trip to the store.
3. Having no special quality; ordinary: a routine day.
[French, from route, route, from Old French; see route.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adv.||1.||routinely - according to routine or established practice; "he routinely parked in a no-parking zone"|