Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to ruffled: ruffled feathers
1. A strip of frilled or closely pleated fabric used for trimming or decoration.
2. A ruff on a bird.
3. An irregularity or a slight disturbance of a surface: the ruffle on the lake.
4. A beating or rustling sound: the ruffle of drums in the distance; the ruffle of a skirt on the floor.
v. ruf·fled, ruf·fling, ruf·fles
1. To disturb the smoothness or regularity of; ripple: The wind ruffled the water.
a. To pleat or gather (fabric) into a ruffle.
b. To put a ruffle on (a garment, for example).
3. To erect (the feathers). Used of birds.
4. To discompose or annoy; fluster: a book that is bound to ruffle some people.
5. To flip through (the pages of a book).
6. To shuffle (cards).
1. To become irregular or rough: His hair ruffled in the wind.
2. To become annoyed or flustered: What teacher doesn't ruffle when students act up in class?
a. To flip through the pages of a book: ruffled through the book until I found the picture.
b. To search for something in a container: ruffled in her bag looking for the keys.
4. To make a beating or rustling sound.
[From Middle English ruffelen, to roughen.]
A low continuous beating of a drum that is not as loud as a roll. Also called ruff4.
tr.v. ruf·fled, ruf·fling, ruf·fles
To beat a ruffle on (a drum).
[Probably from frequentative of ruff.]
intr.v. ruf·fled, ruf·fling, ruf·fles
Obsolete To behave arrogantly or roughly; swagger.
[Middle English ruffelen, to quarrel.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. irregular or rumpled: ruffled fur.
2. unsettled or disturbed: ruffled nerves.
3. (Clothing & Fashion) having a strip of pleated material used for decoration or as a trim: a ruffled collar.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||ruffled - shaken into waves or undulations as by wind; "the rippled surface of the pond"; "with ruffled flags flying"|
agitated - physically disturbed or set in motion; "the agitated mixture foamed and bubbled"
|2.||ruffled - having decorative ruffles or frills|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
(= flustered, perturbed) person → aufgebracht; feelings → erregt; to smooth ruffled feelings → erregte Gemüter besänftigen; to smooth somebody’s ruffled feathers → jdn besänftigen, jds erregtes Gemüt besänftigen
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007