Also found in: Thesaurus.
Related to ruinous: ruinous price
1. Causing or apt to cause ruin; destructive: a ruinous habit; a ruinous rivalry.
2. Falling to ruin; dilapidated or decayed.
causing, tending to cause, or characterized by ruin or destruction: a ruinous course of action.
ru•in•ous(ˈru ə nəs)
1. bringing or tending to bring ruin; destructive; disastrous: a ruinous war.
2. fallen into ruin; dilapidated.
3. extremely expensive.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||ruinous - extremely harmful; bringing physical or financial ruin; "a catastrophic depression"; "catastrophic illness"; "a ruinous course of action"|
harmful - causing or capable of causing harm; "too much sun is harmful to the skin"; "harmful effects of smoking"
|2.||ruinous - causing injury or blight; especially affecting with sudden violence or plague or ruin; "the blasting effects of the intense cold on the budding fruit"; "the blasting force of the wind blowing sharp needles of sleet in our faces"; "a ruinous war"|
destructive - causing destruction or much damage; "a policy that is destructive to the economy"; "destructive criticism"
1. extravagant, crippling, outrageous, inflated, wasteful, extortionate, excessively high, immoderate the ruinous costs of the legal system
2. destructive, devastating, shattering, fatal, deadly, disastrous, dire, withering, catastrophic, murderous, pernicious, noxious, calamitous, baleful, deleterious, injurious, baneful (archaic) the ruinous effects of the conflict