Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A moderate to strong brown.
2. A coarse gray, brown, or reddish-brown homespun cloth.
3. A winter apple with a rough reddish-brown skin.
4. Any of various varieties of potato having reddish-brown skin, especially a russet Burbank.
Moderate to strong brown.
[Middle English, from Old French rousset, from rous, red, from Latin russus; see reudh- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Colours) brown with a yellowish or reddish tinge
a. a rough homespun fabric, reddish-brown in colour, formerly in use for clothing
b. (as modifier): a russet coat.
3. (Plants) any of various apples with rough brownish-red skins
4. (Plant Pathology) abnormal roughness on fruit, caused by parasites, pesticides, or frost
5. (Tanning) (of tanned hide leather) dressed ready for staining
6. archaic simple; homely; rustic: a russet life.
7. (Colours) of the colour russet: russet hair.
[C13: from Anglo-Norman, from Old French rosset, from rous, from Latin russus; related to Latin ruber red]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. yellowish brown, light brown, or reddish brown.
2. a coarse reddish brown or brownish homespun cloth formerly used for clothing.
3. any of various apples that have a rough brownish skin and ripen in the autumn.adj.
4. yellowish brown, light brown, or reddish brown.
[1225–75; Middle English < Old French rousset, diminutive of rous reddish brown, red (of hair); see roux]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||russet - a reddish brown homespun fabric|
homespun - a rough loosely woven fabric originally made with yarn that was spun at home
|Adj.||1.||russet - of brown with a reddish tinge|
chromatic - being or having or characterized by hue
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995