russet(redirected from russetly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A moderate to strong brown.
2. A coarse gray, brown, or reddish-brown homespun cloth.
3. A winter apple with a rough reddish-brown skin.
4. Any of various varieties of potato having reddish-brown skin, especially a russet Burbank.
Moderate to strong brown.
1. (Colours) brown with a yellowish or reddish tinge
a. a rough homespun fabric, reddish-brown in colour, formerly in use for clothing
b. (as modifier): a russet coat.
3. (Plants) any of various apples with rough brownish-red skins
4. (Plant Pathology) abnormal roughness on fruit, caused by parasites, pesticides, or frost
5. (Tanning) (of tanned hide leather) dressed ready for staining
6. archaic simple; homely; rustic: a russet life.
7. (Colours) of the colour russet: russet hair.
[C13: from Anglo-Norman, from Old French rosset, from rous, from Latin russus; related to Latin ruber red]
1. yellowish brown, light brown, or reddish brown.
2. a coarse reddish brown or brownish homespun cloth formerly used for clothing.
3. any of various apples that have a rough brownish skin and ripen in the autumn.adj.
4. yellowish brown, light brown, or reddish brown.
[1225–75; Middle English < Old French rousset, diminutive of rous reddish brown, red (of hair); see roux]