Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An official document or an escort assuring unmolested passage, as through enemy territory.
2. The protection afforded by such a document.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a document giving official permission to travel through a region, esp in time of war
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the protection afforded by such a document
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) to conduct (a person) in safety
4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) to give a safe-conduct to
1. a document authorizing safe passage through a region, esp. in time of war.
2. the authorization itself.
[1250–1300; Middle English sauf condut < Middle French sauf-conduit]
Past participle: safe-conducted