Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A prose narrative usually written in Iceland between 1120 and 1400, dealing with the families that first settled Iceland and their descendants, with the histories of the kings of Norway, and with the myths and legends of early Germanic gods and heroes.
b. A modern prose narrative that resembles a saga.
2. A long detailed report: recounted the saga of their family problems.
1. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) any of several medieval prose narratives written in Iceland and recounting the exploits of a hero or a family
2. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) any similar heroic narrative
3. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) Also called: saga novel a series of novels about several generations or members of a family
4. (Theatre) any other artistic production said to resemble a saga
5. informal a series of events or a story stretching over a long period
[C18: from Old Norse: a narrative; related to Old English secgan to say1]
n., pl. -gas.
1. a medieval Scandinavian prose narrative of events in the lives of historical or legendary individuals or families.
2. any narrative of heroic exploits.
3. Also called sa′ga nov`el. a form of novel that chronicles the members or generations of a family or social group.
[1700–10; < Old Norse; c. saw3]
saga- Old Norse for "narrative."
See also related terms for narrative.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||saga - a narrative telling the adventures of a hero or a family; originally (12th to 14th centuries) a story of the families that settled Iceland and their descendants but now any prose narrative that resembles such an account|
1. carry-on, to-do, performance (informal) (informal, chiefly Brit.), rigmarole, soap opera, pantomime (informal), chain of events, catalogue of disasters the whole saga of Hoddle's dismissal
رِواية طَويلَة عن أجيال أسْرَةٍ واحِدَه
saga[ˈsɑːgə] n → saga
a long, detailed story. I expect he told you the saga of his troubles. sage رِواية طَويلَة عن أجيال أسْرَةٍ واحِدَه сага saga sága die Saga saga έποςsaga saaga داستان حماسي saaga sagaהגדה आख्यान pripovjetka, saga családregény kisah saga saga 物語 무용담,전설 saga, istorija sāga; stāsts kisah panjang relaassaga saga, historia داتلانو كيسه، دمېړنو كيسه، جنګىكيسه، داّيسلينډ لرغونۍ جنګى كيسه saga saga сага sága saga saga saga, historia ตำนาน; เรื่องเล่า) destan 長篇故事 сага, легенда داستان trường thiên tiểu thuyết 长篇故事