Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Any of various tropical palm trees of Asia and Oceania, especially Metroxylon sagu, used as a source of sago.
2. Either of two palmlike Asian cycads (Cycas revoluta or C. circinalis) used as a source of sago and widely planted as ornamentals. All parts of the plants contain toxins, which are removed when processed to make starch.
1. (Plants) any of various tropical Asian palm trees, esp any of the genera Metroxylon, Arenga, and Caryota, the trunks of which yield sago
2. (Plants) any of several palmlike cycads that yield sago, esp Cycas revoluta
1. any of several tropical Old World palms, as of the genus Metroxylon, that yield sago.
2. a cycad, Cycas revoluta, of Japan, having a crown of glossy fernlike leaves.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sago palm - any of various tropical Asian palm trees the trunks of which yield sago|
palm tree, palm - any plant of the family Palmae having an unbranched trunk crowned by large pinnate or palmate leaves
Arenga pinnata, gomuti, gomuti palm, sugar palm - Malaysian feather palm with base densely clothed with fibers; yields a sweet sap used in wine and trunk pith yields sago
Caryota urens, jaggery palm, kittul, kitul, kitul tree, toddy palm, wine palm - fishtail palm of India to Malay Peninsula; sap yields a brown sugar (jaggery) and trunk pith yields sago
|2.||sago palm - dwarf palmlike cycad of Japan that yields sago|
cycad - any tropical gymnosperm of the order Cycadales; having unbranched stems with a crown of fernlike leaves