Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
sa·lon(sə-lŏn′, săl′ŏn′, să-lôN′)
1. A large room, such as a drawing room, used for receiving and entertaining guests.
2. A periodic gathering of people of social or intellectual distinction.
3. A hall or gallery for the exhibition of works of art.
4. A commercial establishment offering a product or service related to fashion: a beauty salon.
[French, from Italian salone, augmentative of sala, hall, of Germanic origin.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a room in a large house in which guests are received
2. an assembly of guests in a fashionable household, esp a gathering of major literary, artistic, and political figures from the 17th to the early 20th centuries
3. (Commerce) a commercial establishment in which hairdressers, beauticians, etc, carry on their businesses: beauty salon.
4. (Art Terms)
a. a hall for exhibiting works of art
b. such an exhibition, esp one showing the work of living artists
[C18: from French, from Italian salone, augmented form of sala hall, of Germanic origin; compare Old English sele hall, Old High German sal, Old Norse salr hall]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
sa•lon(səˈlɒn; Fr. saˈlɔ̃)
n., pl. -lons (-ˈlɒnz; Fr. -ˈlɔ̃)
1. a drawing room or reception room in a large house.
2. an assembly of fashionable guests in such a room, as leaders in society, politics, and the arts, esp. as a regular event.
3. a hall or place used for the exhibition of works of art.
4. a specialized shop, department of a store, etc.
[1705–15; < French < Italian salone, derivative of sal(a) hall (< Germanic; compare Old English sæl, Old Saxon seli, Old High German sal, Old Norse sair)]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Salona gathering or reception in a Parisian house, 1810; similar gatherings at other capitals; the annual exhibition in Paris of paintings, sculpture, etc., by living artists.
Dictionary of Collective Nouns and Group Terms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||salon - gallery where works of art can be displayed|
|2.||salon - a shop where hairdressers and beauticians work|
|3.||salon - elegant sitting room where guests are received|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
salon[ˈsælɒn] n → salon m hair salon, beauty salon
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n (all senses) → Salon m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
salon[ˈsælɒn] n (all senses) → salone m
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
salon(ˈsӕlon) , ((American) səˈlon) noun
a name sometimes given to a place where hairdressing etc is done. a beauty-salon; My hairdresser has opened a new salon. salon صالون салон salão salón der Salon salon; -salon σαλόνι salón de peluquería, salón de belleza salong آرايشگاه kauneushoitola salon de coiffureמכון नाई की दूकान salon szalon salon (snyrti)stofa salone 美容室 가게 salonas salons salun salonfrisørsalongzakład, salon سالون، تالار، دغونډى لويه خونه، د جرګى تالار، د ژونديور سامانو د اثارو ښودنه salão salon de coafură салон salón salon salon salong ร้านทำผม; ร้านเสริมสวย salon 髮廊，美髮沙龍 салон مشاط وغیرہ کے کاروبار کا ٹھکانہ thẩm mỹ viện 发廊，沙龙
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.