Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A shoe consisting of a sole fastened to the foot by thongs or straps.
2. A low-cut shoe fastened to the foot by an ankle strap.
3. A rubber overshoe cut very low and covering little more than the sole of the shoe.
4. A strap or band for fastening a low shoe or slipper on the foot.
[Middle English, from Old French sandale, from Latin sandalium, from Greek sandalion, diminutive of sandalon, sandal, of unknown origin.]
[Middle English, from Old French sandale, from Medieval Latin sandalum, from Late Greek santalon, sandalon, ultimately from Middle Persian čandal, from Sanskrit candanam, of Dravidian origin; akin to Tamil and Malayalam cāntu, sandalwood paste, Tamil cāttu, to daub, smear, and Telugu cādu, to rub into a paste.]
1. (Clothing & Fashion) a light shoe consisting of a sole held on the foot by thongs, straps, etc
2. (Clothing & Fashion) a strap passing over the instep or around the ankle to keep a low shoe on the foot
[C14: from Latin sandalium, from Greek sandalion a small sandal, from sandalon sandal]
n., v. -daled, -dal•ing (esp. Brit.) -dalled, -dal•ling. n.
1. a shoe consisting of a sole of leather or other material fastened to the foot by thongs or straps.
2. any of various low shoes or slippers.
3. a band or strap that fastens a low shoe or slipper.v.t.
4. to furnish with sandals.
[1375–1425; Middle English sandalie, sandale (< Old French) < Latin sandalium < Greek sandálion=sándal(on) sandal + -ion diminutive suffix]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sandal - a shoe consisting of a sole fastened by straps to the foot|
espadrille - a sandal with a sole made of rope or rubber and a cloth upper part
flip-flop, thong - a backless sandal held to the foot by a thong between the big toe and the second toe
scuffer - a lightweight flexible sandal with a sturdy sole; worn as play shoes by children and as sportswear by adults
shoe - footwear shaped to fit the foot (below the ankle) with a flexible upper of leather or plastic and a sole and heel of heavier material
talaria - a winged sandal (as worn by Hermes in Graeco-Roman art)
n → Sandale f
sandal[ˈsændl] n → sandalo
a type of light shoe, the sole of which is held on to the foot by straps. a pair of sandals. sandaal صَنْدَل сандал sandália sandál die Sandale sandal σανδάλιsandalia sandaal صندل؛كفش sandaali sandaleסנדל चप्पल sandala szandál sandal sandali sandalo サンダル 샌들 sandalas sandale sandal sandaalsandalsandał څپلۍ، جوټى، كيړۍ، بوټ sandália sanda сандалия sandál sandala sandala sandal รองเท้าแตะ sandalet 涼鞋 сандалія; босоніжок ہلکی کھلی ، تسمہ دار پاپوش dép, dép xăng đan 凉鞋，便鞋