sandalwood(redirected from sandalwoods)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Related to sandalwoods: sandalwood oil
a. Any of several tropical Asian hemiparasitic trees of the genus Santalum, especially S. album, having aromatic yellowish heartwood used in cabinetmaking and wood carving and yielding an oil used in perfumery.
b. Any of several other tropical Asian trees, especially those of the genera Adenanthera and Pterocarpus that yield a hard wood and a red dye.
c. The wood of any of these trees.
2. A light to moderate or grayish brown.
1. (Plants) any of several evergreen hemiparasitic trees of the genus Santalum, esp S. album (white sandalwood), of S Asia and Australia, having hard light-coloured heartwood: family Santalaceae
2. (Forestry) the wood of any of these trees, which is used for carving, is burned as incense, and yields an aromatic oil used in perfumery
3. (Plants) any of various similar trees or their wood, esp Pterocarpus santalinus (red sandalwood), a leguminous tree of SE Asia having dark red wood used as a dye
[C14 sandal, from Medieval Latin sandalum, from Late Greek sandanon, from Sanskrit candana sandalwood]
1. the fragrant reddish yellow heartwood of an Indian tree, Santalum album, or of related trees in the sandalwood family: used for incense and ornamental carving.
2. any of various similar trees or their wood.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sandalwood - close-grained fragrant yellowish heartwood of the true sandalwood; has insect repelling properties and is used for carving and cabinetwork|
sandalwood tree, Santalum album, true sandalwood - parasitic tree of Indonesia and Malaysia having fragrant close-grained yellowish heartwood with insect repelling properties and used, e.g., for making chests
wood - the hard fibrous lignified substance under the bark of trees
sandalwood[ˈsændlwʊd] N → sándalo m
n → Sandelholz nt
attr → Sandelholz-; sandalwood oil → Sandelholzöl nt