Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
A bag filled with sand and used as ballast, in the formation of protective walls, or as a weapon.
v. sand·bagged, sand·bag·ging, sand·bags
1. To put sandbags in or around.
2. To hit with a sandbag.
a. To treat severely or unjustly.
b. To force by crude means; coerce: sandbagged us into cleaning up their mess.
c. To downplay or misrepresent one's ability in a game or activity in order to deceive (someone), especially in gambling: sandbagged the pool player by playing poorly in the first game when stakes were low.
To downplay or misrepresent one's ability in order to deceive someone, especially in gambling.
1. (Military) a sack filled with sand used for protection against gunfire, floodwater, etc, or as ballast in a balloon, ship, etc
2. a bag filled with sand and used as a weapon
vb (tr) , -bags, -bagging or -bagged
3. (Military) to protect or strengthen with sandbags
4. to hit with or as if with a sandbag
5. (Commerce) finance to obstruct (an unwelcome takeover bid) by prolonging talks in the hope that an acceptable bidder will come forward
n., v. -bagged, -bag•ging. n.
1. a bag filled with sand, used in fortification, as ballast, etc.
2. such a bag used as a weapon.v.t.
3. to furnish with sandbags.
4. to hit or stun with a sandbag.
5. to coerce or intimidate.
6. to trap (an opponent in poker) into greater loss by pretending one has a weak hand.v.i.
7. to sandbag an opponent in poker.
Past participle: sandbagged
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sandbag - a bag filled with sand; used as a weapon or to build walls or as ballast|
bag - a flexible container with a single opening; "he stuffed his laundry into a large bag"
|Verb||1.||sandbag - treat harshly or unfairly|
wrong - treat unjustly; do wrong to
|2.||sandbag - compel by coercion, threats, or crude means; "They sandbagged him to make dinner for everyone"|
|3.||sandbag - hit something or somebody as if with a sandbag|
hit - deal a blow to, either with the hand or with an instrument; "He hit her hard in the face"
|4.||sandbag - downplay one's ability (towards others) in a game in order to deceive, as in gambling|
|5.||sandbag - protect or strengthen with sandbags; stop up; "The residents sandbagged the beach front"|
strengthen - gain strength; "His body strengthened"