Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
sand·flyor sand fly (sănd′flī′)
1. Any of various small biting flies of the genus Phlebotomus of tropical areas, some of which transmit diseases.
2. See biting midge.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -flies
1. (Animals) any of various small mothlike dipterous flies of the genus Phlebotomus and related genera: the bloodsucking females transmit diseases including leishmaniasis: family Psychodidae
2. (Animals) any of various similar and related flies
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -flies.
1. any of several small, bloodsucking insects of the family Psychodidae that are vectors of several diseases of humans.
2. any of several other small, bloodsucking insects, as one of the family Heleidae or Simuliidae.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sandfly - any of various small dipterous flies; bloodsucking females can transmit sandfly fever and leishmaniasis|
gnat - any of various small biting flies: midges; biting midges; black flies; sand flies
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
sandfly[ˈsændˌflaɪ] n → pappataci m inv
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
sandflyn (pl -flies) flebótomo, tipo de jején cuya picadura puede transmitir el protozoo que causa leishmaniasis
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.