sassafras(redirected from sassafrases)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A deciduous eastern North American tree (Sassafras albidum) having irregularly lobed leaves and aromatic bark, leaves, and roots.
2. The dried root bark of this plant, used as a source of safrole and formerly as a flavoring.
[Spanish sasafrás, from Late Latin saxifragia, kind of herb, variant of (herba) saxifraga, saxifrage; see saxifrage.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) an aromatic deciduous lauraceous tree, Sassafras albidum, of North America, having three-lobed leaves and dark blue fruits
2. (Plants) the aromatic dried root bark of this tree, used as a flavouring, and yielding sassafras oil
3. (Plants) Austral any of several unrelated trees having a similar fragrant bark
[C16: from Spanish sasafrás, of uncertain origin]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an E North American tree, Sassafras albidum, having both oval and two- or three-lobed leaves.
2. the aromatic bark of its root, used as a flavoring agent.
[1570–80; < Sp sasafrás]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sassafras - yellowwood tree with brittle wood and aromatic leaves and bark; source of sassafras oil; widely distributed in eastern North America|
sassafras - dried root bark of the sassafras tree
laurel - any of various aromatic trees of the laurel family
genus Sassafras - a genus of sassafras
sassafras oil - oil from root bark of sassafras trees; used in perfumery and as a disinfectant
|2.||sassafras - dried root bark of the sassafras tree|
flavorer, flavoring, flavourer, flavouring, seasoning, seasoner - something added to food primarily for the savor it imparts
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
sassafras[ˈsæsəfræs] N → sasafrás m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → Sassafras m
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
sassafrasn (bot) sasafrás m
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.