Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A deciduous tree (Chloroxylon swietenia) of South Asia, having hard, yellowish, close-grained wood.
2. A West Indian tree (Zanthoxylum flavum) having smooth, slightly oily, lustrous wood.
3. Any of several other trees having similar wood.
4. The wood of any of these trees, used for furniture and cabinetwork.
1. (Plants) a rutaceous tree, Chloroxylon swietenia, that occurs in the East Indies and has hard wood with a satiny texture
2. (Forestry) the wood of this tree, used in veneering, cabinetwork, marquetry, etc
3. (Forestry) West Indian Satinwood another name for yellowwood2
1. the satiny wood of any of several trees of the rue family, used to make furniture, esp. Chloroxylon swietenia, of the East Indies.
2. any of these trees.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||satinwood - West Indian tree with smooth lustrous and slightly oily wood|
angiospermous yellowwood - any of various angiospermous trees having yellow wood
|2.||satinwood - hard yellowish wood of a satinwood tree having a satiny luster; used for fine cabinetwork and tools|
Chloroxylon swietenia, satinwood tree, satinwood - East Indian tree with valuable hard lustrous yellowish wood;
wood - the hard fibrous lignified substance under the bark of trees
|3.||satinwood - East Indian tree with valuable hard lustrous yellowish wood;|
satinwood - hard yellowish wood of a satinwood tree having a satiny luster; used for fine cabinetwork and tools
tree - a tall perennial woody plant having a main trunk and branches forming a distinct elevated crown; includes both gymnosperms and angiosperms